Old April 26th 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
03:52:01 on Tue, 26 Apr 2011,
remarked:

Given that we were told that it had "most of the track and stations
still in situ" we must conclude that the poster in question was
wanting to restore a single track railway, but it's a shame it
wasn't always next to what I think was the only remaining platforms:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/histon/histon4.jpg

Yes, a twin track busway with cycle/maintenance path is wider than
a railway, but not wider than a two-track railway and nature trail.
As far as I'm concerned the only place that width matters very much
is through bridge holes.

The nature trail isn't a part of the Cambridge-St Ives scheme. The track
was double until after passenger closure so restoring track to the
platforms could be easily incorporated in any track relaying.

The other factor overlooked is that trains only require the headroom of
single deck buses. Most buses used in Cambridge are double deck (for
capacity reasons). The Southern section of the guideway is available to
single deck buses only due to the low height of the bridges. On the
Northern section the track below bridges has had to be lowered in order
to accommodate double deckers. Luckily there aren't many bridges there
but there will be few through buses to Addenbrooke's Hospital and
Trumpington from the North because of the limitations.

And very few through[1] cast.iron trains, I expect. (another case
of comparing like with like).

[1] Even reaching Cambridge station requires using a substantial
investment from Network Rail to get from the Science Park, let
alone re-opening south towards the Trumpington P&R.

The junction is still there and was signalled, UIVMM. There are a number
of station area signalling changes needed in any case. The incremental
cost of allowing trains from St Ives in and through would be small.

I tend to agree that extending to Trumpington wasn't top priority. It is
the only bit of the busway which makes some sense, especially with the
Addenbrooke's spur.

--
Colin Rosenstiel