Old April 27th 11, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 06:14:20
on Tue, 26 Apr 2011, remarked:

The nature trail isn't a part of the Cambridge-St Ives scheme.

Do you mean that the trackbed had never acquired the status of a nature
trail, so apart from cyclists there's no-one that worried about it
potentially disappearing?

It was still technically an operating railway until 2 August 2003, so it
wasn't officially available for walkers or cyclists. Some people did walk
on the tidier bits, but some of it was very overgrown - above head height
brambles just north of Oakington station, for example.

Did any of the stations other than Histon have platforms left? And this
idea about relaying the track runs against assertions that a service
could be restored easily as long as the old track hadn't been "ripped
up". In reality, the old track would have been ripped up (and replaced,
even if with some of the old rails) for a railway restoration project.

I think Oakington did. I didn't get further than Longstanton when I walked
it (in 2001) so don't know any other stations.

Theo