Old April 28th 11, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default What does it take to be a Transport Correspondent?

On 28/04/2011 01:37, Jack Taylor wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
I don't think most lay people would remotely have a problem with the
"signal box" description - it's a box that contains signalling kit,
innit.

Most people, educated or otherwise, with or without railway experience,
would expect a signal box to be a (relatively) large building containing
aforementioned signalling kit (and human beings), from which signalling
operations are directed.

Given, say, the number of people who think the third rail network is
diesel powered because there are no wires, I'm not convinced they would.
How often do people see easily identifiable signal boxes these days,
outside TtTE books? Modern commuter lines don't tend to be controlled
from buildings with a a brick base, wooden top and lots of levers behind
big windows.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK