Old May 6th 11, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
solar penguin solar penguin is offline

Default The PAYG Oystercard rip off

Scott wrote:

To be fair, it is not unreasonable to expect the users to operate the
system correctly and to touch in and out on each journey as required.

To be fair, the system doesn't exactly make things easy whenever it
fails to work.

There is also the facility to check journeys on the website and to
have 'errors' corrected.

Only if you're prepared to give your personal details to an
organisation that can already literally track your movements!
Actually I suspect that's the real reason the Oyster system is so
badly designed in the first place. It's to trick you into giving your
details to the website.

And if you think I'm being paranoid, ask yourself why TfL banned
newsagents from accepting credit/debit card payments for Oyster top-
ups. Think about it. I can't think of any reason for it except that
it means anyone wanting to use card payments for Oyster to either use
the website or the facilities at stations, so the authorities will be
able to link the specific credit/debit card holder with the specific
Oyster card...

I think you go too far in condemning a whole system because of one or
two difficulties. I will continue to use my Oyster card as a highly
convenient method of payment.

OK, but you're playing right into the hands of Scotland Yard or
whoever really controls TfL.