Old May 10th 11, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Peter Campbell Smith[_5_] Peter Campbell Smith[_5_] is offline

Default Croxley Rail Link "Exhibition" dates

On May 9, 6:23*am, 1506 wrote:
[...] Why do our friends across the Irish sea reverse
the word order (e.g. County Carlow) I wonder?

" wrote in
:

What do you mean, "reverse the word order"? The point is that
"Hertford County" is completely unidiomatic even in British usage,
precisely because the word order is wrong. [...]

We do 'reverse the word order' though for rivers: River Thames or River
Severn - but Americans have the Hudson River and the Colorado River. Then
there are Lake Superior and Mount Everest - so there's definitely a
precedent for '[feature] [name]' in geographical names.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS | Epsom | UK ||