Old May 12th 11, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry[_2_] Paul Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Here We Go Again - New Tube Strike Dates Revealed

In message , Steve Gardiner
writes

Walking on the track without prior arrangement is really not acceptable.

But he had made prior arrangement. He had phoned the Brockenhurst Signal
Box and asked them to turn off the power before he retrieved the
trolley.

He should have phoned up and reported the trolley

Which is exactly what he did. His own words are quoted in today's
Telegraph:

"I considered it an emergency and therefore phoned the signal box in
Brockenhurst and asked them to turn off the power so I could retrieve
the trolley.

"I was trying to prevent a rail accident and believe I followed
procedure.

"Once I was informed the power was off I went onto the track and removed
the trolley and a few other small pieces, such as tin cans. I thought
nothing of it.

SWT have made no comment, and are not likely to now that an Employment
Tribunal hearing is on the cards. However, it seems that he was fired
for walking on the track without being in possession of a Personal Track
Safety Certificate, something that very few platform staff have these
days.
--
Paul Terry