Old May 15th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default e-mail from TfL

In message , at 14:18:52 on
Sun, 15 May 2011, Graham Harrison
remarked:
This popped into my inbox last week:

quote

Dear Mr Harrison,

Transport for London is committed to keeping your personal information
safe and secure.

To enhance security it is important that you keep your login details
secret and take reasonable precautions to keep them safe by not writing
your login details down or disclosing them to others.

In addition, you should not enter details relating to accounts you hold
with TfL onto any websites other than pages that are part of
tfl.gov.uk.

For more information please visit tfl.gov.uk/privacy

Yours sincerely,

Vernon Everitt
Managing Director, Marketing and Communications

unquote

Some years ago I acquired an Oyster and tried, unsuccessfully, to
register it. Since I visit London infrequently I simply add a few
pounds when I need to but usually find Travelcards the way to go so I
didn't worry that my Oyster remains unregistered. But it looks as if
something took and they have my name somewhere.

I have to say I find an unsolicited e-mail like this a tad interesting,
even worrying. Did anyone else get it? Does anyone know if this is
just a bright idea from someone or have they had a problem somewhere
and doing a bit of CYA?

I got the same email (but I'm registered).

And like you I thought it was a rather sanctimonious bit of preaching
where I wasn't quite sure why TfL had decided to become my net-nanny.

I also wondered if they had in mind some undisclosed phishing (or
similar) threat which involved stealing Oyster log-ins. But it seems low
risk, what's the worst that could happen - someone buy you a top-up you
didn't collect because you never knew it was there?