Old June 1st 11, 01:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default South Tottenham and GOBLIN electrification

On May 30, 5:27*am, Paul Corfield wrote:
I don't know where 2016 comes from - no one has posted any sort of
timeline for electrifying the GOBLIN other than the link from Hornsey
down to the MML as part of the Thameslink programme. This assumes the
depot is still going to be at Hornsey after all of the NIMBY attacks.

I pulled 2016 out of a hat - it seemed like as good a starting date as
any.

I like the 172s - as Mr Tolley says they are clean, well presented and
run well enough on the line. *It is a shame that are still so many
speed restrictions due to knackered infrastructure despite years of
closures and engineering works that I had foolishly assumed would fix
these issues.

Ridership is way up based on my own observations. All stations are
well used despite the alleged "non connectivity" with other lines.
People seem to be able to find the line perfectly well. *As I said in
another post peak trains leave Gospel Oak full with it being standing
room only from Upper Holloway which is a busy stop. *Large numbers use
South Tottenham and Blackhorse Road. I am less familiar with the
eastern section of the line. *I have used the line far more this year
than I have in the preceeding 3 or 4 years because the service is
reliable and now frequent. Off peak services can load well too.

That's very interesting. I wonder if these users are attracted solely
by the Overground brand or if they are attracted by both the brand and
the increased service levels.

The only thing that really annoys me are the shoddy connections to and
from the NLL at Gospel Oak where several times an hour trains on one
line arrive as the other departs which is simply infuriating.
Silverlink may have operated less frequently but there were planned
connections rather than having doors shut in your face and being
forced to wait 10 - 15 minutes for a "connection". *I know this would
probably be "paradise" for people elsewhere in the country but
Londoners tend to be pretty impatient when used to tube like
connections of only a couple of minutes.

Agreed. I wonder if this will improve once all of the signalling works
are bedded in and a few timetable changes are made on the back of
"breaking in" the new infrastructure elsewhere on the NLL and ELL.