Old June 3rd 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Boris Bikes - slow terminals

"Neil Williams" wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 00:27:17 +0100, "Mizter T" wrote:
That doesn't explain those times when after presenting the key fob you
get an extended period of flashing yellow followed by a red,
rather than a green

I seem to get red quite often the first time I enter the code when using
casual hire. Actually, there's another point - the code pads are
conductive touch pads but don't feel like - so I bet they get damaged.

This would be solved by changing it so you get feedback (flashing yellow
perhaps) each time you touch one.

Yeah, actually entering the code on the pad seems a bit awkward - the lack
of any feedback when tapping the code in doesn't inspire confidence. (And
that's after being issued with a code sequence made up solely of the digits
1, 2 & 3, which is itself perhaps a bit out of the ordinary.)

Other observation - if paper runs out you can't hire - why not offer a
code on screen when this happens? Also, if a receipt can't be issued,
there should be a warning up front.

Agreed about a warning for the lack of receipt. Offering a code on screen
could end up in someone else seeing it and quickly just taking a bike, more
so if it was displayed for some time - whilst that might seem a bit unlikely
(the system hasn't really seemed to suffer from 'bad things' happening, e.g.
a 'cycle-jacking' or some such, not yet at least), I think it has to be
guarded against in the system's design - one is after all opening one's
credit/debit card to a potential payment of £300 for non-return of a bike.