Old June 5th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default Olympic impact on commuters and deliveries - serious worries

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 08:31:26 +0100, bearded wrote:

Dear all

I need to pick brains urgently re impact of the Olympics and their
Travel Plan. I'm concerned that we may find travel to wok and
deliveries disrupted. Here's the detail:

We are based at Cherry Garden Pier in Bermondsey. That's off Jamaica
Road, which is part of the Olympic Road Network.

We are committed to intensifying our Westminster-Tower-Greenwich
service during the Olympics.

That means about 70-80 people coming in to work at Bermondsey between
0600 and 0900 and more at intervals throughout the day. Departures run
from about 1600 to 2400.

The Olympic events are not scheduled to start at a time which will
affect AM peak travel flows.

Many events do start at 9 am. This will require arrivals at mainline London
stations about 8.00. This looks to me to be well inside the normal AM
commute time. The idea that these are fringe events that will not attract
many visitors is silly. If (as hoped) all of the events sell out there will
be as many people travelling to these sessions as any other and as they are
"morining only" sessions most people will be wanting to arrive at the start.

Therefore people arriving in the time
window you state should be fine. Note also that the Olympics coincide
with the main school holidays so peak demand levels will be lower.

The biggest issues will be around the off peak, PM peak plus a third
peak in the evening when people start leaving Olympic events. This is
one of the reasons for the later finish to tube and some train
services - to get people away from venues.

I don't understand this "night" peak.

AIUI about 6 million people create the normal London peak flows. Even if
all of the Olympic venues finish late it isn't going to be more than
250,000, a fraction of the normal peak so why's it a problem?

tim