Old June 10th 11, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes[_2_] Mike Hughes[_2_] is offline

Default Strike contingency plan Walthamstow to Heathrow

In message , Jarle H
Knudsen writes
This year‚s London vacation is coming up, and what do you know? The RMT is
threatening to strike when one of us is flying home from Heathrow.

We are staying in Walthamstow, near Bakers Arms (Lea Bridge Road/Hoe
Street/High Road Leyton intersection)[1]. The flight is scheduled for
0950am on Thursday, June 30.

If there is no tube, how do we best get to Heathrow? I assume other
services are not affected.

Despite what everyone else has said, it is possible to book a licensed
taxi (black cab) on a 'capped' fare direct to Heathrow.

How many people are there? If there are 3 or more then the price of a
taxi from Paddington to Heathrow is actually cheaper than taking
Heathrow Express.

I'm sue I could find a day driver t hat lives in that area to take you
for a fixed fee if you want me to (I'd have to get them to tell me the
rice first)

What I would suggest is that you leave Walthamstow well before 0630 as
there's bound to be a large amount of traffic.

On major advantage is that taxis can use the bus lanes to get to the
front of the queues quicker than minicabs or private vehicles.

Let me know if you want me to get someone to help you.

-----
[1] At the King William the Fourth Bar and Hotel, actually. A fantastic pub
we discovered last year, with their own brewery next door, Brodie's Beers.
Recommended!

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England