Old June 13th 11, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Peter is offline

Default Freedom Pass - any info on it?

On Jun 12, 11:48*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
"Ian F." wrote in message

Just wondering, as a relatively new user of a Freedom Pass, if it actually
contains any information or if it is just a 'gate-opener'.

Ian

Many thanks to all for the info.

Ian

I, too, am a relatively recent recipient of the Freedom Pass. I have
found that in practice it seems to function purely as a gate opener.
For example, if I don't touch in at New Barnet (quite easy as it has
no gates) it will still let me out at Kings Cross. Similarly, if I
don't touch out it doesn't subsequently query my journey.

As for buses, on Route 84, which goes a long way out of London to St
Albans, the Oyster reader stops working at the travelcard boundary,
and for the return journey I have to show the pass to the driver.
Further out, on some buses the driver always asks my destination and
issues me with a zero charge ticket, while on others it's enough to
wave the pass at the driver. Is this because some local authorities
pay by journey, while others have a bulk settlement?

Peter