Old June 15th 11, 09:08 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
puffernutter puffernutter is offline

Default Bombardier has the [signalling] contract for SSR

On Jun 15, 10:02*am, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:16:36 +0100

puffernutter wrote:
It is a moving block system, so it should do. I haven't seen the
requirements specification, so I have no idea what Bombardier have
committed to on trains per hour on each line.

In the rush hour the main issue on most lines seems to be long dwell times at
platforms in the centre of town causing trains to back up. Unless there
are enough trains to hoover up enough people to prevent the usual scrum to
get on and off then I suspect all moving block will do is cause even more
trains to sit in tunnels going nowhere.

B2003

More trains is what moving block will provide.

Preventing passengers trying to jam themselves on an already full
train, obstructing the doors and causing excessive dwell times is what
causes trains to back up.

In a perfect world, if people could be assured, through a consistent
period of reliable operation that the next train will turn up in 90
seconds, then maybe they wont cram themselves in the train in the
platform. But I suspect that behaviour will take a long time to
change.

Cheers

Puffernutter