Old June 19th 11, 08:17 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Roll-Pickering View Post
For those not following the London Mayoral election the Liberal Democrats
are in the process of selecting their candidate. Applications closed
yesterday (June 17) and following interviews & appeals the shortlist will be
formally announced on July 12, with a postal ballot declared on August 12.

However three main candidates are already emerging:

* Lembit Öpik - former MP for Montgomeryshire and ex Lib Dem spokesperson
for various portfolios including Wales, Northern Ireland, Housing, Education
and Business. Best known for supporting unusual causes such as asteroid
deflection shields and making it easier to use Segways, for a high media
profile and a high profile personal life. Website:
http://www.lembit4london.co.uk/

* Brian Paddick - 2008 candidate, former member of the Metropolitan Police
who finished up as Deputy Assistant Commissioner. Achieved notoriety whilst
Borough Commander (or whatever the post formally is) of Lambeth (2000-2002)
for his approach to cannabis. He has been a very late surprise entry into
the race this time round. I haven't seen if he has a website live yet.

* Mike Tuffrey - sitting London Assembly Member (list), Lib Dem group leader
2006-2010, also former leader of Lambeth Borough Council (1994-1998) and one
of the joint last ever members elected to the Greater London Council.
Website: http://miketuffrey.com/

Amongst the transport policies, Öpik is pledging a 24 hour tube. Whenever
anybody questions the viability of this online his campaign manager insists
that it just requires political will to be done and New Year's Eve shows
that it can happen. Tuffrey is pleding express buses at peak hours and more
orbital routes, as well as raising extra funding through a municipal bond
scheme and switching to green energy.
I won't vote for any Liberal Democrat candidate and I wouldn't vote for Brian Paddick even if he weren't a Liberal Democrat.

Mr. Tuffey's advocacy of express buses is interesting - at least to me - because I have long thought that the massive expansion of bus services in the outer suburbs in recent years has been misconceived. Far more relevant to the transport requirements of most Londoners would be express buses.

Travelling by bus in London is slow and frustrating, partly because our road system has been sabotaged, partly because buses are large and clumsy and partly because buses have to stop so frequently. On judiciously selected routes, express buses could for many people be a huge improvement over normal buses.

Mr. Tuffey's idea about municipal bonds frightens me. This is a recipe for bankruptcy. Issuing bonds is a just another way of going into debt.

Last edited by Robin9 : June 19th 11 at 02:49 PM Reason: inappropriate choice of word