Old June 19th 11, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Wheatley Ken Wheatley is offline

Default Failed Oyster auto top-up - why?

On 2011-06-19 14:08:36 +0100, eastender said:

In article 01cc2e75$ebaf7e60$d3cd403e@default,
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

I think it has been mentioned here that most things that happen on
buses are done as a batch when the bus returnes to its garage.

Thus this may have been the first time auto top-up was done via the bus
or via this garage ?

It's the first time I've been on that bus certainly. The message from
TFL starts:

"The pay as you go balance on Oyster card number xxxxxxxx was topped up
with £40.00 on bus route W15 on 17/06/2011.

We are writing to let you know that we were unable to charge your credit
or debit card ending in XXXXXXXXXXXXxxxx for this amount.

You need to pay the outstanding balance now against top-up number
xxxxxxxxxx.

If you do not make this payment within three days your Oyster card may
be stopped."

There's no limit issue with the credit card as it's well below the
limit. I'll call TFL and ask if they know what happened as I don't want
it happening again say after I've flown out of the country for a week.

E.

Have you spoken to your credit card issuers? I find these days that
rejections of payments are becoming more and more frequent due to
anti-fraud procedures. In fact I've just binned one card due to my
total inability to buy any software on-line.

If that's not the reason it could be something as simple as a comms
fault at your card issuer - M&S (more accurately the bank behind their
card) were failing to authorise any card transaction during a week-day
morning a year or so ago.