Old June 21st 11, 02:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Anger at Oyster cards 'rip-off' as millions hit for not 'touching out'

Owain wrote

On Jun 20, 6:32*pm, CJB wrote:
.... But Lib-Dem Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon said: ...
They need to be looking at what changes
are needed to minimise the chances of these penalties, for example by
installing more barriers at stations.”

.. But the extra money raised would pay: "for more than 260 new buses
on
London’s streets, or fund the significant expansion of the cycle hire
scheme, or alternatively reduce fare rises.”

.. That would be a good thing wouldn't it?

.. She seemed quite keen when it came to embassies paying the
congestion
charge.
http://www.libdemvoice.org/unpaid-co...nd-fines-by-em
bassies-set-to-break-50m-barrier-22939.html

Which is a fine example of "I don't have any principle, they are
foreigners and we want their money".

A reasoned argument that the congestion charge isn't a tax would be
interesting (Embassies don't have to pay taxes).

I recall a Tory who argued that the Community charge aka "Poll Tax"
should be removed from the RPI "because, like income tax and unlike VAT
and rates, it was a direct tax,".

Which was a reasoned argument, if weird.

--
Mike D