Old June 23rd 11, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default Oyster incomplete journeys research published

"Mizter T" wrote in message

"tim...." wrote:

It's not the technology that important here but the fare structure.

There are several other metro areas using exactly the same technology
where there is no opportunity for a systematic overcharge to occur.

Hmm... there is a weakness in the technology in the sense that the 'OSI
max journey time-out' issue exists - whether similar issues exist with
other smartcard systems I don't know - perhaps some don't have the OSI
concept, which means such a thing would never surface in the first place.

The ones I'm referring to don't require the use to "sign out". Either the
system only has one zone or the user has to "manually" select a zonal
journey length on/before entry, all transfers are OSIs and the user is
trusted to respect the total journey time limits for themselves. There are
still onboard checks to make sure people don't cheat!