Old June 24th 11, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Commute from Chesham to S. Bush via A40 - bad idea?

"Robin9" wrote in message

Steve-o;120760 Wrote:
Dear all

New member here hoping to get a little bit of advice/help. I apologise
if this has been covered before but I did try to search for similar
subjects to no avail.

My partner and I are hoping to move out to Chesham and wondered about
the commute into Shepherd's Bush along the A40. Ideally she would leave
Chesham at around 06:00 in the morning to arrive at work no later than
07:30 (but would hope to get in around 07:00). Does anyone have any
experience of this route at that time? We have heard horror stories
from friends, family, colleagues (the whole gamut!). We have completed
the Shepherd's Bush to Chesham journey a few times (on a Sunday
[45mins], on a Tuesday at 17:10 getting on the A40 at Westfield and
leaving the M40 at Junction 2 [1hr 5mins]) and from Chesham to S. Bush
at 18:20 on the same Tuesday [50 mins].

We haven't undertaken the route in the mornings yet. I intend to drive
it tomorrow morning but Friday traffic generally seems lighter so may
not give us a "typical" journey time.

If anyone has experiences of the journey or parts of the journey at the
time specified your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

It's not a journey I take at the time you envisage so I can offer only
very limited advice. In London there is a big difference in the amounts
of traffic at 06.55 and 07.05. If you can arrive at Shepherds Bush
before 07.00 you should be alright.

The inward journey along the A40 is famously awful after 07.00. What
it's like a little earlier I don't know. Your idea of doing a test run
is good.

The above is consistent with the historic rule that says you should aim to
get wherever you're going in London before 0700, because that's when the bus
lanes start, effectively halving the road space available for other
vehicles.

--
DAS