Old June 30th 11, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anger at Oyster cards 'rip-off' as millions hit for not 'touching out'

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 03:30:02PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:06:26
on Wed, 29 Jun 2011, David Cantrell remarked:
Tolls are rarely charged on routes you *have* to use, there's normally a
"long way round". Which doesn't exist for the US Embassy, being inside
the zone. So it's a lot more like car tax, than say the Dartford Toll.

That's OK, there are exceptions to the "there's another way round"
argument, such as the Skye bridge, before it was nationalised.

That's one of the exceptions I had in mind when I typed 'normally'.
Although there was a "long way round" using ferries (eg from Mallaig).
I'm not sure ferries count as toll roads.

Well, you certainly have to pay for it, so it's still a charge to get
from A to B. And it's bloody expensive too - current fares are GBP21.20
for a car one way, *plus* GBP4.05 per person.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Seven o'clock in the morning is something that
happens to those less fortunate than me