Old June 30th 11, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Wheatley Ken Wheatley is offline

Default Today is the last chance to travel on a 1967 stock Vic Line train

On 2011-06-30 19:32:09 +0100, Paul Corfield said:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:55:39 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

[snip]
If I see one I might get on. But I don't have any special memories of
them.

Well I managed to get it on its first run south and then got it going
north again. It was like boarding a mix of an enthusiast's special and
a staff outing ;-)

There was a slight delay due to a problem further up the line but it
was nothing major. There were a lot of people about with cameras and
obviously having a last ride. I rather expect it will be much busier
later on - now in fact as the last n/b run should be on its way from
Brixton.

Just to make people slightly green around the gills I managed to get a
ride up to the sidings and back down with a complete walk through the
train including the cabs in the centre - the advantage of being staff.
Never done that before so that put a nice spin on my last ride on a 67
stock. I rather suspect Seven Sisters is going to be very crowded
indeed in about 15 minutes or so.

I have lots of memories of the 67 stock as I've travelled on them for
years and years and I will be sorry to see them go even though they're
obviously past their best now.

Goodbye 67 stock.

Indeed. I remember riding on them clutching my Twin Rover as they plied
the Woodford Hainault line. The nice clean newly-varnished wooden floor
was special, and ATO, and other modern features of the Vic such as the
yellow tickets with the magnetic strip tickets and the ticket barriers,
seemed very fururistic.

Then I was a milk-boy, catching then 0532 every morning from Seven
Sisters to Finsbury Park. I always looked out for car 3052, the one the
Queen 'drove'. Pity I lost my colour souvenir copy of the London
Transport Magazine with her in the cab on the cover..