Old February 11th 04, 05:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Bus Routes.

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:16:37 +0000, Kat
wrote:

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)

What a question - useful in what context?

Ah Paul, you obviously have no idea how important the local tube station
is as a centre of the community these days. Many people come in, who
have no intention of using the Underground, for all sorts of
information. (Often not concerned with travel at all)

If you want alternatives to
the Tube then that gives you one list. If you want routes that might get
you somewhere useful or to an alternative station or line that's
something else again.

At various times I've been asked the best way to get to Slough, the A13
and Stansted by road. I am often asked the best way to places by bus
too.
We don't keep bus-maps on the station... something I'm trying to remedy
but for now I go to the Travel Info place at Liverpool Street and beg a
few bus maps from them.
I thought that it might be useful to have a bit more bus info in my head
too, hence the question.

this website will help a great deal - www.londonbusroutes.net - and I
will admit to using it for checking my list. I lot of the entries came
from memory though (sad isn't it?).

The following is a long list. Depending on how insane you are feeling
you might wish to have a ride round on some of the more interesting
orbital routes as they can be a good alternative to sending people into
London on the Tube and back out again. Many of them run at high
frequencies and are very busy.

Radial and Central London routes (covers a lot of Tube Links)

[...]

Thanks for your list; it seems very comprehensive.

HTH

Yes, it certainly does!
--
Kat Not everything that can be counted counts,

and not everything that counts can be counted.
~Albert Einstein~