Old February 11th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Bus Routes.

In message , Kat
writes
Ah Paul, you obviously have no idea how important the local tube station
is as a centre of the community these days. Many people come in, who
have no intention of using the Underground, for all sorts of information.
(Often not concerned with travel at all)

At various times I've been asked the best way to get to Slough, the A13
and Stansted by road. I am often asked the best way to places by bus
too.

When the RV1 riverside route was first introduced I knew that it existed
but not exactly where it went. While working in Southwark one day [1]
I popped in to London Bridge tube station to see if they knew, thinking
this very likely.

Although the chap was very pleasant and knew that the route was die to
start, he didn't know where I could catch it or exactly where it went.
I was a bit surprised. Even here in the West Midlands, railway
stations usually have a pile of local bus timetables on the counter.

We don't keep bus-maps on the station.

Which, as I said, surprised me a bit.

I was also always rather annoyed that you couldn't buy Saver tickets at
tube stations; I see that that's been remedied now, though.

.. something I'm trying to remedy but for now I go to the Travel Info place
at Liverpool Street and beg a few bus maps from them.

Well done, Kat and thank you! (You shouldn't have to do that, of
course but I know enough about large organisations to know that direct
personal action is often the best!)

[1] This sounds like the prologue to Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales"!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for