Old July 16th 11, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Whither Thameslink to Cambridge?

In message i, at
11:19:09 on Sat, 16 Jul 2011, Tom Anderson
remarked:
There is an idea that trains could run from the Thameslink core to
Cambridge, or at least on to some part of the Great Northern route, via
a junction just north of St Pancras Low Level.

What is the status of this idea? Is it a definite part of the
Thameslink masterplan? Has it been scrapped? Was it never more than
conjecture? Have i dreamed it up?

In particular, i remember some work being done towards it as part of
the CTRL 2 works at St Pancras - a short section of tunnel under the
CTRL/NLL spaghetti junction, facing SPILL at one end and the GN at the
other. Does that exist, or is this another flight of fancy on my part?

Yes, the tunnel exists (but no track yet). I think the plan is to
increase the number of trains terminating at Welwyn Garden City and send
all of those through Thameslink, then send the slower half of the
Peterborough and Cambridge trains through as well. The remainder would
continue to use Kings Cross.