Old July 21st 11, 08:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Kevin Ayton[_2_] Kevin Ayton[_2_] is offline

Default Overground SLL link

On 20/07/2011 23:22, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 04:44:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 20, 11:58 am, Clive wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:00:52 +0100, "Paul Scott"
SLL extension new works by Birse Metro. The contractor's site he

http://www.overgroundextension.co.uk

Is it reasonable to call it a "frequent" service if there are only 4
trains/hour?

In broad terms I'd say yes. It is certainly a decent service level to
begin a new rail service with. We're not talking about a tube line
nor a tram line in an urban area where the UK expectation would be a
service every few minutes. As Roland says many people would kill to
have such a service level on their train or bus route.

Talking a relevant Overground example - when the GOBLIN was every 20
or 30 minutes I would have to know the departure times as just missing
a train would impose too long a wait and it would be worthwhile
considering going another way. With the GOBLIN now every 15 minutes I
am much more relaxed about "just turning up" although I do know the
times anyway! The same applies for the Chingford Line - it's every
15 mins and it's not "the end of the world" if you just miss one. I
guess it's all a bit psychological really in terms of people's
tolerance of being delayed.

Chingford is only 4 tph?

When it 1st electrified, (Nov. '60, when I were but a young lad....)
it was 6 tph off-peak& 9 tph in the peaks.
Train were probably longer too, 6-car off-peak& 9-car peak.
'Twas before the Victoria line opened, so perhaps that stole some of
the traffic?

DC

I commuted from Chingford to Liv St to go to school (at Blackfriars)
from 65 to 72. My recollection is 9 per hour in the peaks - three groups
of three, one group every 20 mins. The first two in each group ran fast
between St. James' Street and Liverpool Street, while the third had
stops at Clapton, Hackney Downs and Bethnal Green. My memory is of just
one every 20 mins off-peak, but I could be wrong.

Rush hour trains were 9 car (3x3), but off-peak I think were only 3 cars.

That dind't change even with the opening of the Victoria Line at Hoe
Street (or Walthamstow Central as it became) - well not before my family
moved over to the SW side of London and I stopped doing that journey.

Kevin