Old July 21st 11, 09:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson[_2_] Peter Masson[_2_] is offline

Default Overground SLL link

"Paul Corfield" wrote

I am sure that the Vic Line did divert some traffic but travel demand
has grown over the years and the trains are well used in the peaks.
Off peak not so much but there are still reasonable numbers of people
using the line. We could be much worse off in terms of frequencies
than we are so I'm grateful we have the service level we have.

I'd be interested in statistics of the number of passengers on the Chingford
(and Enfield Town) lines over the years. The Jazz service in 1920 delivered
24 tph over the suburban line out of Liverpool Street. When they were
planning it they did some counts - the 6.5 pm LSt to Chingford was recorded
as carrying 1442 passengers on departure from Hackney Downs. Most alighted
at St James Street or Hoe Street (now Walthamstow Central) Only 49 made it
to Chingford.

Peter