Old August 5th 11, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink North South connections

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
Foxton's a full barrier (with signal box next door). Shepreth might
need converting, a drop in the ocean compared to all the other
Thameslink upgrades.

There may be a signal box next door but it doesn't control Foxton level
crossing. That is controlled by CCTV from Cambridge panel.

Since when? As far as I know, the gate box (not signal box, though it
looks like one) at Foxton still operates the crossing. Certainly last
time I visited Cambridge PSB that was the case, with no controls for
the crossing on the panel.

Some nice stills
in the Cambridge News recently too. ;-)

If you mean

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...traffic-light-
at-level-crossing-01082011.htm
I don't think that's crossing control CCTV, just traffic-watching
CCTV. A signalling CCTV would be arranged so that the barrier post
didn't block the view.

The press report implies there is CCTV coverage but on rereading more
closely it is clear that there is CCTV surveillance with local control of
the gates.

This crossing has a bad history with a much worse case of a tanker hitting
the barriers last year so maybe the CCTV is there for evidence gathering.

Why the lorry driver wasn't charged with endangering passengers on the
railway and sent to jail I don't know. He should have been. This case is
minor by comparison.

--
Colin Rosenstiel