Old August 10th 11, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote on 09 August 2011 23:23:24 ...
In ual.net,
(Neil Williams) wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:46:19 -0500,
wrote:
Even the present NR had generating capacity at one time. It was decided
that the National Grid would be better value. It's hard to see that they
were wrong.

Perhaps the difference is that stations on the mainline had electric
lighting long before the wires went up, unlike the deep Tube.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember lots of stations with only oil or
gas lighting.

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the stations.
--
Richard J.