Old August 12th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] is offline

Default why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In message , Richard J.
wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember lots of stations with only oil or
gas lighting.

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the stations.

Adrian Vaughan writes of the modernisation of Uffington signal box. The
new box had track circuits and an illuminated display, but the box had
no electric lighting, just a Tilley lamp. However, one of the signalmen
was the local union rep. and soon got that altered!

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org