Old August 13th 11, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim[_3_] Jim[_3_] is offline

Default why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , Robin9.88bf9c3
@londonbanter.co.uk says...

;121904 Wrote:
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in
Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction
supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the
platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the
departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay
attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember
vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the
stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of
the London Underground family.

--
Robin9

In the late fifties I recall, as you say, lighting was poor and the
tiling was pretty grim as well.

Then, Essex Road platforms had diamond-shaped roundels and included
Canonbury in the wording.