Old February 11th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Route Numbering

In article ,
(Bob WWood) wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think
there were at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes
that orginated in central London, 2xx were once single deckers

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the 83 has ever gone
anywhere near Central London, and the 207 wasn't a single decker -
it was the old 607 trolley.

The 2xx for single deck routes was abandoned when the Trolleybus
conversion programme got into full swing and many replacement routes were
given 2xx numbers. This was when the number of single deck routes had
declined anyway.

AFAIK there never were any subdivisions within 1-199. Trolleybuses were
500-699 and Green Line 7xx. Many routes go back to re-LT numbers, with
trolleybus routes being previously xx tram routes, e.g. the (LUT) 7 tram
became the 607 trolley which became the 207 bus.

The biggest difference since the 1960s is the almost complete abolition of
routes with suffix letters, e.g. 77A, one of the few left. At one time
there was a 77C.

--
Colin Rosenstiel