Old August 22nd 11, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page[_3_] Clive Page[_3_] is offline

Default Do out-of-London bus passes work on London bus touch-pads?

On 22/08/2011 11:31, David Cantrell wrote:
Yes, they work. They work by you showing them to the driver or ticket
inspector. You don't need to touch them on the Oyster pads, because
they're yet another of the eleventy squillion special cases that have
piled up around Oyster.

Yes, but the other week I used my non-Oxford bus pass on a bus in
Oxford. The driver motioned to me to touch it on the touch pad, and was
very surprised when it did not work. He then played about with his
machine for a bit and eventually issued me with a zero-cost ticket. But
he told me that nearly all bus passes worked his machine, and not just
those issued in Oxford City itself (this was a park-and-ride bus, mostly
used by those not living in Oxford itself).

So why didn't it work? My Council claims its recently-issued cards are
ITSO-compatible, and has checked my pass and told me that it is in
working order (it is certainly capable of interfering with an Oyster
card if it's nearby when I touch that in/out, which suggests its
RFID-works are working). I'm baffled.

I guess that technology this advanced handled by local council officials
and bus companies is bound to end up a bit of a mess.

--
Clive Page