Old August 24th 11, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Travelled from Harrow and Wealdstone to Hackney via Willesden Jn on oyster and was charged a zone 1-6 fare

"Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

Thinking aloud, I dare say that 'default fares' are generated by some
sort of routing algorithm, and it takes a bit of human intervention
to alter them (which hasn't happened here)? Given the need to pass
through gates in zone 1 if travelling via Euston (which would
inevitably mean a via-z1 fare being charged), I think it'd be fair
enough to change the default fare so as to assume the non-z1 route,
i.e. changing at Willesden Jn.

Yes, I had a similar experience a while ago. I didn't bother complaining
as l reached the Oyster day limit during the day, and passed through zone
1 later in the day anyway.

The extinction of the zones 2-6 (and 2-9) daily cap has perhaps had the
effect of making me somewhat less concerned with ensuring that I benefit
from non-z1 fares, at least on days when I'm likely to hit a cap (all of
which now include z1 of course). Though just to be clear I'm by no means
writing off the non-z1 fare concept at all.

(Since the removal of the z2-6 cap I'm also now likely to ponder a moment
longer - at the weekend at least - as to whether it's worthwhile going to a
station and getting the Railcard-reduced Day Travelcard, which of course
covers all of zones 1-6, for £5.30.)