Old August 24th 11, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Chaos at Hayes & Harlington - as new C.I.S. mis-informs pax

On Aug 24, 7:56*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 24, 6:29*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"CJB" wrote:
You couldn't make this up. The new c.i.s. has been up and misinforming
passengers for over two weeks - and nothing is being done to correct
the system.

It seems to me that the two monitors are correct - the colour one lists
departures and the b&w lists arrivals - the word 'Arrivals' should be a
clue.

Indeed - though I suppose one could question whether or not a station
like H&H actually needs an arrivals monitor.

However, I entirely agree with you about last minute platform alterations -
where these are necessary there should be an audible as well as a visual
announcement, then enough time for all passengers to get to the new
platform. If the fault is down to Network Rail FGW should insist that NR
carry the can for any resulting delay minutes.

Agreed - I've experienced late platform changes at H&H, it's all seems
like a bit of a shambles. My impression is that FGW seem to kind of
regard their London suburban services as a bit of an afterthought -
possibly not helped by some notion that the Heathrow Connect services
aren't really their business.

(As an aside, I recall a red-faced train driver literally bellowing at
me down a platform as I stood obstructing the doors whilst an elderly
couple negotiated the stairs after a literal last minute platform
change - I did explain myself, but he didn't seem to want to know.
Not, I should add, something that happened on FGW territory.)

South Eastern avoids this by not announcing them at all. The train
will disappear from the monitor and run unannounced through a
different platform.

I've also known last minute changes happening repeatedly at Finsbury
Park.

I think the winner was at Stratford where the displays showed a train
due in a platform where the line was blocked by one of those red light
things.