Old September 1st 11, 06:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MikeS MikeS is offline

Default Oyster fare confusion - OSIs?

"MikeS" wrote in message
"Phil D" wrote in message
Wonder if any of the resident Oyster gurus can assist me? I regularly
make the journey from Honor Oak Park to Watford Junction and have
until recently not paid much attention to the fare (using unregistered
PAYG, so no journey history). Lately I've become curious as to the
cheapest reasonable way of doing the journey. Reasonable meaning "so
that it doesn't take three hours". Used to take NR from Honor Oak to
London Bridge, then Northern to Euston and NR onwards to Watford. Am I
correct in assuming this is an expensive way of doing it? Recent
experiment has been Overground to Whitechapel, pink validator, H&C to
Euston Square and then Euston to Watford Jnct. NR, which off peak came
in at £2.50. I assume that's by virtue of the OSI between Euston Sq.
and mainline? Probably not the most taxing topic ever posted, but
everywhere else I look seems to give different answers, and I'd just
like to know the logic behind the various fares.

P.

Suggest you try the TFL journey planner. This shows a variety of routes
(not yours) with journey times around 65-70 min. In each case the entire
journey is on Oyster with a total single fare (see their fare finder
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...t/default.aspx )
of £4.00 peak or £2.30 off-peak. However, all the routes go via Zone 1 and
it is not clear whether or not these Oyster fares include that.

On reflection, if you don't mind a 2 hour journey you can avoid Zone 1
completely and pay £2.30 with Oyster:
Honor Oak Park Rail Station
Take Overground towards Highbury & Islington Rail Station
Canada Water Underground Station
Take the Jubilee Line towards Stratford Underground Station
Stratford Rail Station
Take Overground towards Clapham Junction Rail Station
Willesden Junction Rail Station
Take Overground towards Watford Junction Rail Station
Watford Junction Rail Station