Old September 3rd 11, 08:11 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Roll-Pickering View Post
For those who haven't yet seen the outcome, Brian Paddick has been selected
as the Liberal Democrat nominee for Mayor.

A reminder of his transport pledge from his two page manifesto:

* Hold down fares, to be financed by "scrapping Boris Johnson's vanity
projects"
* Maintain the bus fare subsidy
* A clean-air zone for central London with action on high-polluting
vehicles
* Hand over some TfL land for affordable new homes

The full figures, for those interested, we

First round
Brian Paddick 1,289 (42%)
Mike Tuffrey 1,232 (40%)
Brian Haley 316 (10%)
Lembit Opik 252 (8%)
Total valid votes: 3,089

Second round
Brian Paddick 1,567 (51%)
Mike Tuffrey 1,476 (49%)
Majority: 91 (2%)
So the Liberal Democrats, like Labour, have decided to make it easy for Boris Johnson to be re-elected. I am an early and severe critic of Boris but I will vote for him because he is at least tolerable. I am sure there are many other Londoners who will vote likewise for the same reason.