Old September 3rd 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Semi-OT - Liberal Democrat mayoral nomination & transport pledges

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

While Mr Tuffrey may have less of a profile than Mr Paddick I think he
would have placed both of the other candidates under a lot of scrutiny
about policy and delivery which is what is actually needed. We're not
holding a beauty parade - it's an election where clear plans, good
ideas and proper scrutiny of delivery against their previously
declared commitments is required.

I'm afraid elected Mayors are not turning out quite the way people
expected (and hoped?) - I think the expectation was that the posts
would attract new talent, especially from industry, who would be
interested in running for a direct executive post but not in the
street level work that councillors do which is a pre-requisite to
being a council leader. Unfortunately the UK party system doesn't
operate in such a way that such outsiders can dip in to electoral
politics. Ironically Paddick in 2008 is the nearest to a US style
candidate that any of the parties on the GLA have yet fielded and
both he and the Lib Dems found the experience an unhappy one (he says
he's learnt from the experience and certainly he's more experienced
in Lib Dem campaigning now).

The other problem is that elected Mayors are not seen as a stepping
stone to higher things because it's hard to know if one can return to
the Commons, so the ambitious are not drawn to the post (okay Lembit
stood but... he's Lembit). Here it will take time and precedents to
change that to show the talent can easily jump between venues.

I dread to think what will happen if we ever get regional government
- whatever one may think of special advisors going into safe
Westminster seats they do have political knowledge and talent but are
unlikely to stand for regional assemblies. Anyone fancy a chamber
full of county councillors who fancy a nice sinecure?

Months of political jamboree is going to be tedious in the extreme.
Recent skirmishes between Ken and Boris "supporters" fill me with
dread.

If you think Boris's supporters hate Livingstone, you should hear
some of the attitudes held about him in certain London Labour
Parties.

Don't be quite so dismissive about councillors. Many MPs once had that role
and some in all parties are very good. My present MP was a County Councillor
until 2009. I'm sure he'll go far.

Some ex-councillor MPs may only make mediocre backbenchers but I wouldn't
accuse any of the former members of my council (Cambridge City) of that.
There are currently two and another two (both former council leaders)
retired in 2010.

--
Colin Rosenstiel