Old September 10th 11, 07:09 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506[_2_] 1506[_2_] is offline

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sep 9, 10:05*pm, Jeremy Double wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:33:48 on Fri, 9 Sep
2011, tim.... remarked:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA. I'd
like to say "unknown" but they do exist, I saw one at Newark last week
connecting Terminals A[1]&C (both of which have Continental flights).

I would have thought that the US policy of making everybody clear
immigration/customs at first entry point/final exit point restricts the
demand for air side transfers somewhat.

Not when the vast majority of transfers are domestic-domestic. Plus a few
domestic-international (I didn't clear security when transiting back to
UK through Newark, I stayed airside and the security I did earlier at the
regional feeder airport was sufficient).

It's only the international-domestic which have that issue.

At most UK airports the majority of passengers are making international
journeys.

Flying Los Angeles to Edinburgh, I have often cleared Immigration in
London, but Customs at Edinburgh. Very helpful, it saves lugging
cases, et al, around Heathrow.

So people in this country tend to forget that, even at a major
international airport like Newark, the vast majority of passengers passing
through a US airport are making domestic journeys. *In the US, airports
serve more-or-less the same role as inter-city railway stations in this
country.

Very much the case at airports like Louisville, KY, or Omaha, NE.

Flying from London to Los Angeles, if the plane touches down at JFK,
one has to go thru everything in New York, Immigration, baggage
pickup, customs check, and agricultural check.

And I, too, have used the airside bus at Newark to transfer from an
internal to an international flight, so it can't be very uncommon. *You
wouldn't want to brave the security queues at Newark if you were trying to
make a connection onto a transatlantic flight...