Old September 11th 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Public internet access on the london underground

On Sep 11, 2:57*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
05:39:51 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:

I'd imagine there's pretty much zero chance Power Line Technology
could possibly be made to work in the way you describe

But some kind of leaky feeder or beacon system would. Don't get too
distracted by the technology rather than the funding and sociology.

I was just addressing that particular bit of the OP's question.

Agreed about the broader point - if someone wants to pay for it, then
it'll happen. Fitting equipment in deep level tunnels however isn't
that easy a proposition - there'd need to be a near enough as can be
100% guarantee that it wouldn't catch fire, nor interfere with any
safety critical LU kit such as signalling or comms, plus there'd be
the very real issue of maintenance access.

Let's see what the response is to TfL's invitation to tender for
providing wifi at "up to 120 stations" after the well received six-
month trial run at Charing Cross run in conjunction with BT - the TfL
press release says "A contract will be awarded to the chosen bidder by
the end of 2011"...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/19623.aspx