Old February 12th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default Bus Route Numbering

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:56 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Peter Beale) wrote:

In article ,
(Bob WWood) wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the 83 has ever gone
anywhere near Central London,

Similarly 51/A/B/C and 61 which ran from Eltham, and probably others.

I have just made a longer post about this but pre-1970 "Central" was
anything covered by the red buses - roughly Greater London.
"Country" was the (doughnut shaped) area beyond this but still part
of the London Transport area - roughly, going clockwise from the
Thames, Gravesend, Hildenborough, Edenbridge, East Grinstead,
Crawley, Horsham. Guildford, Staines, Windsor, High Wycombe,
Aylesbury, Dunstable, Luton, Hitchin, Buntingford, Bishop's
Stortford, Harlow, Brentwood, Grays.

One of the advantages of being old is that I can remember all this
clearly as if it were yesterday. One of the disadvantages is that I
can't remember what actually did happen yesterday!
--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com