Old September 13th 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, at
02:52:04 on Tue, 13 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
Exceptionally, and unusually, Roland, I am with Tony on this one. It
takes a while to understand anywhere. A week is barely enough to give
a flavor. At this time I am in the UK. After spending decades in the
US, I still learned something new every week.

We all have different skills. I've moved around a lot, including a spell
living in the USA. I'm very observant and instinctively spot the
socio-economic patterns which form the basis for lifestyle in different
places. I've made numerous trips to places like Paris, Brussels, Geneva
and Amsterdam, and feel that I've gained considerable insight into the
local culture/logistics by the time I've spent seven days mixing with
the locals (I'm not talking about sitting on the beach or other classic
tourist activities).

Indeed, currently, I am still adjusting to the changes in the UK
during my absence. The first time I tried to use a chip and pin debit
card was embarrassing. It was at Victoria Station and I kept removing
the card too soon.

I find I can adapt to the local currency/banking arrangements in a day
or two easily. And to be on topic, the local public transport. But I do
research them before I go. I look at the local papers to see what the
price of things like houses and cars is, and ask the locals about their
experiences, where *they* go on holiday, what work is like, and where
they do their shopping. What they consider to be the good and parts of
town, and why.

The more places you visit, the more you can assemble a picture from a
set of building blocks.