Old September 14th 11, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, at
01:15:31 on Wed, 14 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
I'll never forget landing at Gatwick several years ago, after an
extended spell away, and finding every ATM on site was out of action. I
had to get the taxi driver to stop at a motorway services so I could get
some cash (doubly irritating as they generally have quite a high fee).

That has happened to me. I make the point of keeping a little UK cash
when I am an the US and vice versa. That way there is always money
for the cross London taxi fare. Or, the taxi home in the US.

A good plan. It's also useful to always carry a few US dollars - some
destinations with arrival airport tax (dressed up as an entry visa)
accept only dollars. And I was once told of a destination where the
airport taxi drivers allegedly demanded only dollars, although I
discovered they liked the local currency better. (Maybe that rumour was
started by someone who tried to pay in Pounds or Euros).

Entering the UK last October I found I had twentypound notes that were
no longer legal tender! Fortunately a bank changed them.

In the late 80's some friends arrived in UK with brand new sterling
banknotes which had been obsolete for years. They'd got them from the
USA bank the week before!