Old September 14th 11, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile
Tristán White Tristán White is offline

Default Public internet access on the london underground

On Sep 11, 11:10*am, Roland Perry wrote:
It's a disincentive to use the tube, and will become increasingly so as
people's lives revolve around their Smartphones and apps. Obviously the
"I'm on the train" brigade are a pain, but it's such a noisy environment
(except between trains at a station) people should really not attempt
it.

(a) there's often no real alternative in London BUT to use the tube,
especially considering dense traffic above ground and high parking
costs, so the impact will be minimal

(b) people will get used to it very quickly and soon forget that it is
a pain

(c) for every person who sees it as a disincentive, there will be
people like myself who see it as an INcentive. Being stuck in a tunnel
without being able to tell my boss, or the friend I'm waiting to meet
in the pub, that I'm running late is the only reason (as I have a
yearly season ticket) that I sometimes don't get the tube and choose
instead either a bus or a Boris bike... just so that I can stay
connected if there are any delays.