Old September 14th 11, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_2_] Basil Jet[_2_] is offline

Default When did the Underground become the Tube

On 2011\09\14 17:37, Tristán White wrote:
On Sep 8, 12:03 am, Basil wrote:
On 2011\09\07 17:54, Paul Terry wrote:

The Metropolitan Railway only became part of London Underground in 1933,
and I thought it unlikely that anyone using the phrase "The Tube" would
have included the Met as part of that before that date... but it looks
like I am wrong, judging by this 1912 map "How To Reach Harrods By Tube"http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/london-underground-map-th.htm- Hide quoted text -

That is odd - I guess though it's like including DLR on the tube maps
after the DLR was launched. But yes, it is odd.

I mean, the Met even had it's own lozenge for a logo back then
(lozenge being to rhombus what roundel is to circle, if I'm not
mistaken)
http://www.ltmcollection.org/images/...o/i000009o.jpg for a copy
of the Met's lozenge on their 1916 timetable.

Like the clock at Willesden Green station.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.5490... 99,,1,-11.11