Old September 16th 11, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Westfield and the DLR

"Robin" wrote in message

Yes, I know that the Olympic stadium arena is sunken, but would that
provide enough material to raise the far larger Olympic park area
that surrounds it?

ISTM the issue is a bit more complex than that as the area was not
flat to start with. There is a map showing the contours at
http://planning.london2012.com/publi...=JD3JF2SZL0000
but I'm not up to computing if it's enough (or more than enough) for
the final contours. Living near the site I can say they have had some
pretty big temporary hills as they moved stuff around.

Yes, I've noticed those large 'temporary hills' on my infrequent visits
and wondered if they were to be made permanent, only to notice they'd
disappeared on my next visit.

On this visit, I was surprised just how much construction still seemed
to be going on around the park, given that the venues are all supposed
to be more or less complete. Even the temporary warm-up track on top of
the DBS sidings seems to be almost done (it was still a concrete plant
when I last walked along the Greenway). I assume that some underground
services have to be laid (including the new water main) and the area
landscaped after the major buildings are complete.