Old September 17th 11, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default Oyster question

On 16/09/2011 17:50, Walter van Holst wrote:
Hello there,

Looking through the terms and conditions of TfL, it is still not quite
clear to me whether I have to swipe in with an Oyster card with a
subscription for a zone loaded on it if I stay in the same zone. Can
anyone point me to a (definite) source of information for that?

Condition 6.6.1 of the TfL Conditions of Carriage:

"When you use Underground, London Overground and National Rail services,
you must touch your Oyster card on the yellow card reader (see clause
6.8.) at both the start and the end of your journey. If the ticket gates
at stations are open you must still touch your Oyster card on the yellow
card reader.

You can use the Travelcard season ticket on your Oyster card provided it
is available and valid at the time you travel and any pay as you go
balance on your Oyster card is not in debit. Should any pay as you go
balance on your Oyster card be in debit, you must clear the debit before
you use your Travelcard season ticket."

This is split into two separate conditions (3.5 and 3.6) in the Oyster
Conditions of Use on National Rail services.

Also appears as Condition 6.6.1 in the DLR Conditions of Carriage.

The Tramlink Conditions of Carriage, however, explicitly state that you
*don't* need to touch in if you've got a Season (Condition 6.1.3)
*unless* you're travelling to Wimbledon (as the Tramlink platform is
inside the NR/LU gateline).

Cheers,

Barry