Old September 18th 11, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Westfield and the DLR

"Richard J." wrote in message

Recliner wrote on 17 September 2011
11:32:34 ...
"Richard wrote in message

wrote on 16 September 2011
12:08:41 ...
Yesterday, I took my first trip to Westfield Stratford and the DLR
extension. Here's a few observations:
[snip]

3. Walking the route of the DLR.

When the DLR extension enters Stratford station from the south
(using the former NLL platforms), it's at local ground level. But
when it leaves heading north, it appears to be in a cut and cover
tunnel. Of course, it's still at the original ground level, but
Westfield bridges over it.

What's interesting is to walk one of the open curved 'streets' in
Westfield, from M&S to the Cow pub (I think this may also be one of
the main routes for spectators walking to the Olympics site from
Stratford station). If you carry a GPS (as I did), you realise that
you're walking directly over the DLR route.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, but it's entirely
wrong. The DLR tunnel curves sharply left on leaving platforms
16/17, passing under M&S, after which it's not under the shopping
centre. The line emerges from the tunnel, facing west, just north
of the Aquatics Centre. At that point it's adjacent to the
Overground NLL tracks. You can see it at the top of the photo at
http://www.london2012.com/photos/201...ics-centre.php
, also on Google maps satellite view.

Looking further at plans I've found on-line, it looks like the
restaurant piazza end of the curved street is over the DLR at the
western edge of Westfield (as my GPS showed), but the more sharply
curved DLR is indeed routed further south, under M&S, rather than
just to its north as I had thought. See p9 and p10 in
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...v9 A35yoD098A

Thanks for that link. Westfield are frustratingly reluctant to make
maps of the centre available, same as at Shepherd's Bush. There
aren't any *curved* streets shown leading to the restaurant plaza.

You're right, the 'street' is actually made up of straight segments, but
it seems curved when you walk it.

I've now found a photo which proves that you are right (and I was
wrong) about the DLR tunnel continuing underneath the buildings after
passing under M&S. There's a large aerial photo towards the end of
http://uk.westfield.com/stratfordcit...ssue_three.pdf
It shows the west portal of the DLR tunnel, and construction in
progress on top of the tunnel.

Thanks, that's interesting.