Old September 19th 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Oyster question

On Sep 17, 1:05*pm, Barry Salter wrote:
On 16/09/2011 17:50, Walter van Holst wrote: Hello there,

Looking through the terms and conditions of TfL, it is still not quite
clear to me whether I have to swipe in with an Oyster card with a
subscription for a zone loaded on it if I stay in the same zone. Can
anyone point me to a (definite) source of information for that?

Condition 6.6.1 of the TfL Conditions of Carriage:

"When you use Underground, London Overground and National Rail services,
you must touch your Oyster card on the yellow card reader (see clause
6.8.) at both the start and the end of your journey. If the ticket gates
at stations are open you must still touch your Oyster card on the yellow
card reader.

.... snip...
Cheers,

Barry

Well that's not possible at Hayes & Harlington for those arriving from
Paddington on platform 1 (usually after 22.00 and early in the
morning) 'cos there isn't an Oyster validator there - and there never
will be one.

Currently - whilst the main foyer is closed for renovations - the
nearest validator is on platform 4, fully 10 minutes walk away, over
the road bridge, down a dark alleyway and across a fenced off car
park. Needless to say no-one bothers.

However someone 'in the know' - aka the station manager - told me that
there is a cut off for all Oysters at 22.00 after which if a 'touch'
out is not registered then no penalty is applied. Not sure how that
works or if this is actually true.

Mind you at that time the gates are wide open at Paddington so no-one
bothers to touch in anyway!!

CJB.