Old September 24th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_2_] Basil Jet[_2_] is offline

Default Motorway map in the style of the London Underground

On 2011\09\24 19:22, Ian F. wrote:
I've just discovered this and I'm sure you've all seen it before, but
just in case...

http://www.motorwaymap.co.uk/pdf/Mot...%20version.pdf

Thanks.

It's superficially interesting, but what lets it down is that the
motorway network is not a self-contained concept in the way a rail
network is. Anyone travelling from the A3M to the M27 would not see the
link between them as being in any way inferior to the motorways
themselves, yet this map makes the link between them look almost as if
it's under construction. Also particularly dishonest is its portrayal of
the A194M leading to the A167M in Newcastle - I believe that in reality
anyone going from the A1M to the A167M would avoid the A194M completely,
unless there were serious traffic issues on the more direct routes.
Ironically a map of the road network which omitted motorways would be a
self-contained network, and would be useful for cyclists etc., but the
transport buffs would never draw such a map. You could argue that the
tube network has similar problems in that it encourages people going
from Wimbledon to South Wimbledon to go via Earls Court, but it was at
least originally paid for by an organisation which wanted people to do
exactly that.