Old September 26th 11, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default An exhibition of stupidity

Paul Corfield wrote on 26 September 2011 17:34:46 ...
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:27:54 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

Exhibition Road has had the pavements and kerbs removed to turn it into
a place where pedestrians and vehicles don't quite know who is supposed
to be where. Apparently that's a good thing. Anyway, blind groups have
complained, so the former pavement area is now going to be covered in
... wait for it... corduroy so that the blind will know when they are on
the former pavement area and when they are in the former road area.
Since the presence of the corduroy will also alert everyone else to the
location of the former pavement area, I can't help thinking that leaving
the original road, pavement and kerbs intact would have achieved similar
results with zero cost or disruption. No wonder the country's bankrupt.

This is just the largest and most ludicrous example of "highway
engineering fashion" that has been implemented in London. You only
have to experience the smaller scale version on High Street Kensington
and nearly be run over about 10 times in a 100 yards to know it is a
preposterous idea.

Is that because you can't tell (or don't care) where the carriageway
starts or because drivers can't tell (or don't care) where it ends? I
haven't noticed problems in KHS, but I'm not there that often.
--
Richard J.