Old September 28th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default An exhibition of stupidity

Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 27/09/2011 13:43, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

This fashion is more Kensington and Chelsea than all of London but I'm all
in favour of getting rid of railings. They are usually a real danger to
cyclists. Kerbs are another matter though. Without them motorists drive all
over the pavements. We learnt that in Cambridge 20 years ago and ended up
with a load of bollards.

Presumably the evil motorists now knock down the bollards. Are the
bollards any better for cyclists than railings?

In Cambridge the bollards used to sneak up (literally) on the motorists
and take them by surprise.

We have some of those in Aylesbury. An installation in Manchester is
the subject of several YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkGvr2q3xw&NR=1